10 Ways Junk Food Is Like Street Drugs - Part 2
Earlier this week I did the first five points on this 10 point list. If you missed it go to 10 Ways Junk Food Is Like Street Drugs - Part 1.
6. Lab Animals Can Easily Replace Their Drug With Sugar. Lab animals that have become addicted to amphetimines or cocaine can replace their drug with sugar and vice versa.
7. Medications Used For Drug Addictions Are Now Being Used With People Trying To Lose Weight. Think about that. People who have been unable to lose weight are now being treated with drug addiction medications. Why? Because they're addicted to those foods and by reducing those addictions with chemicals they're able to lose weight.
This feels like "robbing Peter to pay Paul" or swapping one problem for another, it does point out the fact that junk food and the like are highly addictive.
8. Abstinence leads to with drawl like symptoms. Are you a regular consumer of caffeine? If so I'm sure you know what it feels like to go without.
When the drug addict goes with out their drug it can lead to a variety of physical symptoms.
Now try going without your favorite junk food that you regularly eat. You'll experience things from a craving to full blown physical symptoms.
Junk food is addictive.
9. Junk food is terrible for your health. This is common knowledge. Drugs destroy your health and well being. The same is true for junk food.
10. Food addiction symptoms match medical criteria for addiction. Here are a few that could be applied to hard drug addiction or junk food addiction.
A. Taking the substance in larger and larger amounts or for longer than the you meant to. B. Wanting to cut down or stop using the substance but not managing to stop. C. Cravings and urges to use the substance D. Needing more of the substance to get the effect you want E. Development of withdrawal symptoms, which can be relieved by taking more of the substance.
The official criteria used by medical professionals is called DSM-V.
If you look at their criteria for “Substance Use Disorder,” you can see resemblance to many food-related behaviors.
In the next post I'll discuss what you can do to "get clean" if you experience a junk food addiction.
All information contained within AskDrNed.com website is intended for educational purposes only. Consumers should never disregard medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something they may have read on this website.